At Some Point Everyone Has Neck Pain
It has been estimated that everyone at some point in there life is going to suffer from neck pain. Reasons for this very from sleeping wrong to having an accident but when the neck pain keeps returning or becomes chronic this indicates that there is something wrong with the neck.
The Neck Has a Normal Structure
The spine has a normal structure, from the front it should be straight and from the side it should have 3 normal curves. In the neck region or cervical spine the curvature should go to the front. The purpose of this forward curve or lordotic curvature is to act like a curve in a bridge and carry the weight of the 10-15 pound head. If this normal curvature is maintained then the neck muscles, ligaments and vertebra will maintain normal integrity and not be exposed to abnormal stress and tension, hence no pain for the most part. It’s when this normal lordotic curve is lost that problems begin and neck pain comes on.
22 Years of Practice, I’ve Seen 19 Normal Necks
In my 22 years of clinical practice as a Chiropractor I have seen, to date, 19 normal neck curves out of the thousands of neck pain patients that I have seen. The vast majority of neck pain patients I’ve seen have all had a loss of their cervical (neck) curve. Research has shown that loss of the cervical curve is highly predictive of pain in the cervical spine and also the largest producer of headaches (see studies below). The simple reason for the pain is that when the normal neck curve is lost then the muscles, ligaments and bones in the cervical spine begin to erode due to the abnormal stresses over the years. Once these tissues have eroded enough they begin to produce neck pain and headaches and treatment from a Doctor of Chiropractic is typically sought at that point.
Pivonka Chiropractic in Gilbert Works to Restore Necks to Normal
At Pivonka Chiropractic in Gilbert our goal is to rehabilitate and restore the normal curvature to the cervical spine, in our neck pain and headache patients. By restoring normal structure we restore normal function and this helps our neck pain and headache patient’s return to life without pain. Pivonka Chiropractic in Gilbert has been improving cervical curves for 22 years and we see great results in patients with neck pain and headaches using corrective chiropractic care. If you are having neck pain or headaches and you have tried other treatments, including other chiropractic treatments, with little improvement, give our office a call and see if the type of Chiropractic we practice might be the solution. Call Pivonka Chiropractic in Gilbert at (480) 892-0022 today.
1. Harrison DD, et al. Spine 2004; 29:2485-2492.
2. McAviney J, Schulz D, Richard Bock R, Harrison DE, Holland B. Determining a clinical normal value for cervical lordosis. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2005;28:187-193.
3. Jochumsen OH. The curve of the cervical spine. The ACA Journal of Chiropractic 1970; August IV:S49-S55.
4. Choudhary Bakhtiar S; Sapur Suneetha; Deb P S. Forward Head Posture is the Cause of ‘Straight Spine Syndrome’ in Many Professionals. Indian J Occupat and Environmental Med 2000 (Jul); 4 (3): 122—124.
5. Nagasawa A, Sakakibara T, Takahashi A. Roentgenographic findings of the cervical spine in tension-type headache. Headache 1993;33:90-95.
6. Braaf MM, Rosner S. Trauma of the cervical spine as a cause of chronic headache. J Trauma 1975;15:441-446.
7. Vernon H, Steiman I, Hagino C. Cervicogenic dysfunction in muscle contraction headache and migraine: A descriptive study. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 1992;15:418-29.